Thursday, December 4, 2008

Dialectic Journals ch. 8 pt.1


"A king does not dine while his men go hungry, nor sleep while they stand at watch upon the wall. A king does not command his mens loyalty through fear nor purchase it with gold;he earns their love by the sweat of his own back and the pain he endures for their sake."

It's true I agree with this Leonidas is always fighting with his fellow Spartans and makes fun of him own self to show respect. While Xerxes thinks he's a god and buys his people with gold and just sit their on his throne while People are dying in his eyes. It makes me mad that hes king while he doesn't even do anything he really doesn't deserve the title. I remember watching the movie and not thinking much of it but now that I have read this book it really refreshes my memory and shows me much more information. I think that Leonidas showed leadership and was a real king. By being king you have a lot of authority over a person so the fact that he chose to fight is definitely heroic rather than just watching. And Leonidas dresses the same as everyone and doesn't think of himself as way better than everyone else.

No comments: